Dear friends, My blog has moved!
Please visit me over at my new site!


I hope to see you there!

~Jenni



Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Ruffled Felt Ornament Ball


I hope you are all doing well this Thursday morning! :)

Well, after taking it easier last week, this week I am going full steam ahead. But I must confess, I think I'm running on sheer adrenaline. (That and caffeine...a lot of caffeine!)

Now I was supposed to show you an idea that incorporates the ruffled pages ornament, but it isn't quite finished! I want it to be {just right} before I show you!

But I have something else for you today:



Ruffled Felt Ornament Ball


Felt is such an endearing fabric, don't you think? When I made my ruffled pages ornament, I was almost positive the same method would work with felt as well. So of course I had to see if it would!

{What you will need}

Styrofoam balls, 2 inch diameter

2-3 pieces of felt, the color of your choosing!

Rick rac or other ribbon or fabric for hanging

Glue gun and glue sticks

Fabric scissors/craft scissors

*Diet Coke


*If you do not drink diet Coke, I suggest chocolate. You can never go wrong with chocolate. Or do what I did, and have both. ;) 'Tis the season, and all that!

Now the procedure for making this felt ornament is very similar to how the ruffled pages ornament was made. But because felt is different from paper, there are some differences. So here is a little tutorial and recap:



I used a template about 2 inches diameter, and traced it onto the felt. It took about 2 pieces of felt, but I said 2-3 to give you a little extra just in case you need more!



Now cut out your circles! I think I used around 35 circles for this ornament. (I bought a circle cutter for paper today, and am going to see if there is one for fabric, too. I'm betting that there is.)





Fold the circle in half and press in the middle of the half with your finger. You want it to hold this shape, like the picture above, so put a little bit of glue inside of that spot to hold it together.





Now holding it like this, glue the "tip" opposite where you are holding it and press onto the foam ball.





Keep adding the little folded felt circles, making sure there are no noticeable gaps of foam between the felt!



Keep working your way around the foam ball, until it is half covered. Now glue whatever loop you want for your ornament onto the "top". Then continue adding the felt until the foam ball is entirely covered, all around and up against the loop for hanging your ornament.





Then hang it up on your tree! :)





Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope you have a great day! :)


blessings,
Jenni



11 comments:

Tiff said...

How beautiful! Thanks for another great idea! (I made a version of your linen wreath with tulle and it worked out brilliantly!) I am definately going to have a go at this decoration too! X

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!I'm going to try this.Beautiful.

Kathy

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Oooh, I have some felt just waiting for a beautiful project like this!! I think I'll give it a try. Thank you so much, Jenni, for all your brilliant ideas. You are keeping my busy!!

Sarahx

Susan McClaskey said...

These are great! Being a "fiber" person, I'm always on the lookout for a "new" fiber ornament and these surely fit the bill! Do you think fleece would work as well as the felt? I just happen to have a lot of that on hand. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the paper ones!
Best,
Susan

Turley Times said...

Beautiful! It's funny how each little folded circle on its own looks like a little fortune cookie, but when they're all glued to the ball it looks so pretty and ruffly! :) Bookmarking this to try sometime!

Hannah

michelle said...

Love them!! You can make snow balls too!! :) You have such creative ideas my dear! Keep 'em coming!! :)

Melissa said...

LOVE IT! I will be working on these thru out the year for next year!

About Southern Belle said...

Lol, I just love the photo with the diet coke, too cute! As always, my sister, talented you are, very talented!

Erin said...

I love this one too! I love how pretty and soft this one is!!

Anonymous said...

So cute!

Unknown said...

Beautiful, Jenni! These would be cute in Edyn's room, too...in bigger sizes of shades of pink. Thanks so much for linking with air your laundry Friday, sweet friend! Freckled favorite tonight.

xoxo,
Jami